Friday, August 20, 2004

Where's the letter, where's the letter, where's the letter, where's the letter?

I took so long to update my blog cause:

1] I've been away on holiday again - this time Sabah for six days - to think I haven't even recovered Sarawak yet! Spent a bomb, so I'm broke. I don't know if I'll be able to survive the Kedah trip this weekend without touching my savings! Oh no!

2] Been worrying about my application to fly away from the coop. Today's supposed to be the day - we should've gotten results by now - but no letter of approval/disapproval from the coop yet. Geez, I haven't mentally prepared myself for a rejection...

3] I wanted to write a piece that will distract my mind off my penniless, blind-to-the-future state, but can only came up with "Ten things you can do to save money and get a great holiday:", based from my recent experience holidaying in the land below the wind.

So here's goes...

Ten things you can do to save money and get a great holiday:

1] Go Cuti-cuti Malaysia
- tis cheaper to travel to local destination maa, plus it's patriotic to do so too!

2] Travel via Air Asia
- book two months ahead of time, be prepared for a bumpy ride, and forgive those damned maggi-in-a-cup for RM7

3] Take a bus to KLIA instead of ERL or cab
- bus ride from Star LRT Chan Sow Lin station/Hentian Putra bus station to KLIA costs only RM15, start off from home about three hours or plus a half more before flight time, and you'll get to the airport on time

4] Stay at a friend's house, but don't impose
- if you don't have friends staying at exotic locations, find some, and don't forget to bring some Dunkin Donuts and pirated DVDs as a token of appreciation for hosting your stay, and tell your host's mom that you prefer to AFUNDI Mas from Linda

5] Travel with the right people
- read: travel with friends who don't mind splitting costs all across - no freeloaders - and do choose travelling partners with mutual interests, or you might find yourself paying for activities which you rather not do, like duet parasailing!

6] Don't overshop
- when you go to local destination, buy only stuff you can't find back home - still, items like belacan (from Kota Belud) and kopi (special Tenom brew) are of course exceptions

7] Ask your host to do the bargaining
- thumb rule - point which item you want off the souvenir shelf, back away and let your host do the talking.

8] Tolerate the bumpier boat / crazy bus rides
- forget cabs and tour guides, be adventurous and opt for local transport and other cheaper alternatives - you alse get to hear, feel and smell local culture this way

9] Watch out for citizens' privileges
for example the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park which consists of several islands charges visitors RM3 for local tourists, while foreigners pay RM12, wait, was it RM18? Can't remember, but more lah

10] Get someone to pick you up on your trip back
- call mom, dad, BF or any admirer and whine about how tired you are, and bait them with an exotic souvenir

And that's it ladies and gentlemen! And I'm still waiting for that damned letter!!!

No comments: