Thursday, October 02, 2003

Peek-a-boo ghoul and a straight girl's musings

Yesterday was Wednesday, the 6-bucks day. Have to admit I'm a sucker for this - I loved the fact that we get to have RM4 off the normal ticket price, and now that the pirate VCDs are harder to obtain, I always look forward to the 6-bucks day.

We wanted to catch Cinta Kolesterol at first - for me it's not just due to the thrill of seeing Erra Fazira all plumped up, I believe it is a good opportunity to do my part as a local supporting the local film industry.

I already missed Rabun, and as far as I can tell the rest of the movies does not star Faizal Hussein so it has been justified here that I do not have much choice, if I still want to do my bit for the Malay film industry. So Cinta Kolesterol it is.

Alas, twas not meant to be. Tickets available for the evening shows are not what we could settle for. So, the 6-bucks day sucker in me decided another show should be it.

We saw the movie Darkness, which starred Anna Paquin. It was a horror film - not so much gory but twas more of an optical illusionary treat. There was this one scene with the so called evil creature hanging from the ceiling of the haunted cult house - it sort of reminded me of the tale a sophomore in MCC once told us freshmen.

You see, the hostel I was in - Aishah Hall of MCC Kuantan to be specific - has its own set of horrors. One of it entails a creature that hangs from the ceiling, going from room to room with its smile and fiery red eyes, and it will extend its long neck just as it gets above the closet that also double as the partition before the corridor and say its scary version of peek-a-boo to whoever is lying on her bed watching the ceiling for inspiration.

Hence each closet in Aishah Hall - even on our freshman mate Sheila Ramasamy's - has a small surah Yassin booklet stashed on top - a repellent measure which must have worked I supposed, as I was fortunate enough not to have encounter any peek-a-boo ghoul during my stay. Still, even thinking of it makes one like me shiver.

The highlight of the 6-bucks day was when Tini suggested that we all go to Naili's Sentul to catch dinner and ubi rebus there. The ubi rebus was delicious, of course but the cute boys manning the service line are more interesting to look at.

Well, right untill Tini mentioned that the famous gay blogger we all read up on has the same taste in men - those kg.com looking guys yang berbadan sasa in particular, seems to be right down his alley.

I hate to think that my prospects of getting cute dudes are now even narrower, considering some are also game for homosexual relationships. Why wont they take the nerds and leave the good looking kg.com-looking guys for us straight girls? After all, rumour has it that gay men are more sensitive and open minded plus they're more interested in one's inner beauty - so look and body are superficial, right? (So hand them to me - for this point of time, I don't mind superficials!)

If the market of straight guys has only nerds left for grabs, will I have to start reading all those self-help books and Cleo/MarieClaire-like mags? I mean mayhap one of these days they'll feature articles like "Turn your nerdy lover into a hunk" or "Discover the inner strength in your introvert BFs" or maybe "How to act meek to match your wimpy date". Should these mags touch this low, we will know by then that straight girls are at a losing end!

For the time being, I foresee an article ala "How to be a natural damsel-in-distress" (with a sub-headline that reads "Make the guy you are trying to impress thinks he's hero") heading our way soon.

No comments: