Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Tak rock aa...

I did watch Malaysian Idol last Friday, but had to miss some part of it cause I also took interest in TV2's Rentak Juara (I switched channel everytime the two blardy hosts opened their mouths - to think I have to stomach them this Friday when sis' band Superfriends and my friend Jalut's band Gerhana Ska Cinta compete... *shivers*...!).

I did catch most, if not each one all the way, of the remaining contestants:
1] Andrew the Ent (heeheehee dunno why he reminds me of TreeBeard)
2] Dina yang tak la rock sangat rupanya
3] Datin's favourite Zamil
4] adinda Saiful yang cantik manis
5] boring Niki
6] "I never fake myself" Vic
7] Jac the club singer

T'was supposed to be "Rock Week" and only a few of them actually sang real rock songs! I mean, c'mon, didn't these guys and gals know what ROCK is?

Ini pi nyanyi lagu progressive pop la, teeny bopper la, alternative la - according to an insider, apparently most of them chose the song themselves, ignoring the long list of song prepared by "rock consultant" appointed by the organizer.

OK, OK, maybe a lot of them thought that songs that falls under the "cross" category (for example alternative rock like Creed and teeny bopper pop rock like Avril Lavigne) can pass as rock jugak la. Fair enough - but if that's the case then why didn't they choose something they can really handle?

If I have Dina's voice I'd ditch the skirt and sing the other Evanescence song, the haunting My Immortal or better still, an Ella track. Songs like Kitalah Bintang, Dua Insan Bercinta should be alright.

Skip Gemilang and Cinta Ala Amerika unless you can carry high notes - hmm, maybe Jac can try those, but compared to Dina her voice tak berapa sesuwai la... besides her Sweet Child of Mine was good!

If I have Zamil's voice (I'd first freak out, then) I'd sing Like A Stone (Audioslave) - hey, since they're not singing rock, I guess post-grunge is OK.

If I had to have Vic's courage to be different I'd try to bring the house down with Silverchair's The Greatest View (which is actually alternative pop/rock).

I seriously think that Andrew could've pull Search's Gadisku or better still, that famous Beyond song - had he sang any of these song, he could've retained his normal I-just-wanna-stand-still-and-sing-my-heart-out-with-my-eyes-closed persona... right?

Well, anyway, lucky none of them sang any Michael Learns To Rock song ekk...

No comments: