Friday, April 01, 2005

The training, the earthquake and Monkey Business

So I went for this "Development of Professional Image" training right. And managed to pick up a thing or two (more than that actually) that I could use in my daily routine.

Among the discoveries:
1] Grooming: Don't have expensive clothes? Don't sweat it (literally), can still concentrate in maintaining cleanliness and tidyness till the next fat bonus (if there's any uwaa...) + sales carnival arrives.

2] Dining: Knives and spoons on your right, forks on your left - work your way outside in. Wrist on the table alright, forearms not quite, elbows no-no.

3] Speaking: No swearing, no tasteless jokes, no politics, no religion, no personal (age, weight, income).

But what I don't want to do is use make-up. Setakat powder and lip-gloss I can tolerate. Free mascara also can lah from time to time. But full-fledge foundation, lipstick, eye-shadow, blusher, eyeliner... alamak... berat la. Costly on top of that!

Nevermind, you concentrate on what you can and want to do, the ones you cannot don't give up on it yet, give it some more time. Now that's what I've summarized from the training. (Bet the trainer won't agree, but I'll let her do that.)

And so I was in a parked car, in front of McD's drive-through in Setiawangsa right, when the earthquake happened. Tremor I felt, but seated I remained in the car, and confused I did become. (I don't understand why so many people thought they pening kepala, when the shaking definately feels external?)

At first - since I was left alone in the car while my cute date went to drop some speakers and stands belonging to his friend in the studio opposite before he sends me home - I thought "Mamat mana lak dok menempek bontot kat kereta orang ni? Kot iye pun jangan la henyak kuat-kuat mek oi.."

But when I turned and found no one messing around, not a single butt pressed to the Putra's bumper - I got a bit scared. When the tremors continued, stronger on top of that for a few seconds more, and I got scared even more.

If you've been to Pantai Timur via Karak highway, someone's bound to tell you about an urban legend aka highway ghost story which involves a man getting hauled onto his rosak car and bashed by a hideous-hairy-creature and the wife in the passenger seat could hear the thonking sound coming from above.

So don't blame me if I thought a ghastly werewolf had landed above the Putra I was in OK?

I quickly double-check if the car is locked. The tremor then became milder, and my date came back. Reflecting now I realized that everything happened within a very short span of time, really.

He asked me why I looked so "off-white". Ha ha. Told him that something scared me for a bit but I don't know what, and he said no worries cause he's back. Apparently he was too caught up in replying a client's SMS that he didn't noticed the ground was moving under his feet.

When I got home I flicked on 8TV on just to listen to songs while I kemas-kemas a bit before going to bed - that's when I found out that a 8+ earthquake had occurred. Then one of the chatters said there's a live news coverage on NTV7, so naturally I switched channel...

And I saw Monkey Business at Actor's Studio last night with BC and two architects - 5.5/10 - that's my rating. I especially like the second last piece. Maybe I'm more of a dialogue-matters kind of audience...

I also caught ASK dance student's final sem performance - twas good, the only slack was that some of their friends in the audience did not give them due respect - quite a spoiler when someone shout out a dancer's name then have the guy on stage twitch nervously when he is already a nervous wreck. But hey, you get all kinds of audience, so it's a good practice for them.

No comments: