Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Kisah Seekor Khinzir Gagah Yang Bernama Babe

HBO is showing Babe this month - ooh, I forgot how much I really enjoyed this movie. In fact, this movie totally changed my perspective on this animal called... ze.. pig!

When I first saw Babe, I only captured what the film projected on the surface - an orphan's journey alone in the big, bad, yet sometimes wonderful world and his heart-wrenching adventures on Farmer Haggert's farm, yadda yadda yadda...

Back then, I remember wondering why oh why is the hero a... ekhem... pig, of all animals? Were the film makers tired of Lassies and Beethovens and Garfields and Puss in Boots? Or was it cause the animators were monopolizing the insects category (remember Antz and A Bug's Life)?

Apparently not!

Let it be known that ze domestic pig, aka sus scrofa, is actually among the most intelligent species in the group of domesticated animals - in fact, more so than (gasp!) dogs! We're talking bout jumping through hoops and walking tightropes and opening bolted doors here!

So when George Miller (ze scriptwriter) made a pig - our adorable, "heart of gold" Babe - to play the main character who got them sheep posse doing his bid much better than the shepherd dog Rex (the antagonist character), it's got to be a well-researched decision. Yep.

As far as Babe goes, credits should also be given to the rest of the animal pack - especially the rodent trio for their harmonious, high-pitched rendition of Blue Moon. But personally, it was Babe's Jingle Bells tune that I still could not wash out of my head - ask any 1996 - 2000 batch of MCC Aishahan what they usually hear when I'm occupying the shower booth next to theirs... here I go again!

"La la la.. la la la... la la la... lala.."

No comments: