Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Dated June 11, 2003

Remember that pile of old newspaper I blogged about not too long ago? Well today I finally sent that leaning tower of newspapers to rest in peace.

Or maybe I sent it to hell, considering its final destination will be the recycle centre.

I didn't sent it away because it was getting too tall, too leaning, too obstructing.

I didn't sent it away because it wasn't working with my office feng-shui either (then again I wouldn't know for sure since my former deskmate who's into all these fengshui stuff never got around to giving me a read since the pile started).

And I didn't sent it away because a number of people had started to notice (some impressed, some thought I was just too lazy to clear em up, some thought it might got something to do with battling against RSI).

I sent it away because I needed more space to roll my chair away from my current deskmate.

Last month we went into cold war mode when she sabotaged my working schedule by piling up her assignments to my care. I ignored her successfully, giving single-word replies when it was truly necessary.

Then last Friday I wanted to escape early from work and since no one else was around I had to talk to her. I bet that must have been the turning point - she must have thought everything was all alright again but no way Popo!

(FYI I call her "Popo" since the day I found out that this BackStreet Boys/Sugar Ray fan is actually several years away from her retirement yet working very hard to keep her age a secret.)

This week on Monday she was all sugary again and even tried to gossip with me. I actually flinched backwards (twas reflex! honest!) when she dragged her chair closer to mine.

That was the moment I found out that with the wall behind me plus the table and the hoard of review gadgets piled in front of me, doing away with my beloved pile of old newspaper is the sacrifice I have to make in order to enable a quick escape.

Today she was in only for half of the day - I seize the chance to say farewell to my sturdy protector against the office's Ah Beng and literally loudmouthed colleague Loudspeaker, the one that lets me sit on it and sway while I find that elusive first line for that article I was working on, my dilapidated side table, my pile of old newspaper.

Then in five trips to the cleaner's area, I sent the pile away. Lying on the bottom of the pile was a supplement dated on June 11, 2003. Now the area on my left seems so barren.

Man, I'm going to miss it.

No comments: