Friday, February 27, 2004

Discrimination dicks

First, I was singled out for night assignments simply cause I'm the only one in my team who is not married. Plus I think the Ed thinks I the kind of person who simply lurrrve clubbing. Clubbing my ass.

Night assignments is actually glamourous, but that does not mean they are pleasant all the way. Just wait till you arrive and find out that all they're serving are alcoholic beverages and the organizing company's PR gals are already tipsy they can't even get us press who don't drink plain water. Besides, three night assignments in a row can make some writers very very cranky.

It's worse when they drag the likes of Siti Nurhaliza, Sarimah, Raihan and such to be their spokesperson and give you that look that says "Hey you're the reporter right, why aren't you asking our product ambassador here questions and is that digital camera of yours rosak ah?"

Some of them are just there to demonstrate a couple of things you can do with the gadget, then pose with it, and that's it. Beyond that, the PR gals whispers "Why don't you shoot me an email later?" Please, if we have to do that, what's the point of have a press conference in the first place?

It's worst when they have some newcomer like Nic Teo (who?) or some artist with pet names like Rabbit (oh?) onboard - most of them just let their PR talk on their behalf, mostly pushing their maiden album or EP than talking about the product they endorse anyway.

Now they've singled me out again. The thing is, some companies who invites the press for an event at a location outside KL wants to save money by squeezing two writers in one hotel room - this is really stupid and rarely done, but whaddaya know, some people can stoop that low. Simply cause the other team from my Co is sending a female writer, I had to be the one representing my team cause I'm the only girl who is single.

"You singles have more freedom right. Besides you're from out of town, I bet you've not been to Genting Highlands yet right? So this assigment should be fun." says the Ed.

Fun my ass. Genting Highland my ass. But well, who said life's fair?

No comments: