Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cabbie's perspective of Bersih 2.0?

It was raining. In fact, while this post is being typed, it is still raining.

I was running late, and apparently the LRT is stuffed. Forget that, I thought to myself, I'll grab a cab instead. So there I was, at a bus stop near home, neck peering out hoping for a sight of a vehicle don in red and blue.

And there it was! Barely two minutes after setting my butt on the cold tiled bench, a cab showed up. I hailed, and it stopped.

"[Blip!] can, uncle?" I requested as I saw a white-haired Tionghua gentleman behind the wheel.

"Can. Where in [Blip!]?"

"[Blip Blip!]"

"Oh you work for the press?"

"Yes."

"So you will be covering the 907 rally?"

"No, I only write about technology. Will you be going?"

"No, I'm old but not crazy hahahahaha! This cab is not mine, if I venture in KL that day who knows what kind of damage I'll be paying for. I have to figure some other way to make RM40 for the cab rent," he said, I'm not sure if he was going to get angry once he recalled which media I work for.

"I'll be staying at home too."

"That's a smart thing to do. I don't understand why those folks feel like they need to do this. They're busy trying to overthrow those people on top, but they forget people like me still need to make a living. You see I don't have high education, I have tons of bills and fees to pay, and I got a family to look after. I bet those folks are just like me too, except for those lawyers and doctors and other professionals joining, so aren't they concerned that their action will cause a drop in business? Those mall merchants won't make money as other people are afraid to go shopping. One day of no business is a lot of money you know," he lectured slowly.

"I know. What about you uncle, apart from the RM40, what else will you be losing?"

"I have a few regulars, those people who work in KLCC but live in Bangi, Sri Kembangan and Sungai Way. I've cancelled ahead with those folks, that's near RM150 of fare - one of them said he will call another cab. I doubt if he's going to get one. A lot of my cabbie friends won't be going out. We all hate this rally thing. If our cab gets smashed up who's gonna pay for it? You think the Bersih 2.0 organisers will pay? I think it is likely things will get ugly once the police comes in..."

No comments: