Friday, May 28, 2004

The real ta alip kot

Right now I'm waiting for a reply from the Ed if my article's received and whether it is good enough for publication or else.. I sent it at about 5PM and it's 5:48PM - no reply yet...

The event was a total havoc for me - there were so many bigshots ready to talk, and I have not evenone question for them - that was how bad the three plenery sessions were this morning. I just froze like a maggot on a split jambu.

There were people talking in different languages - journalists asking questions and sounding really smart and savvy. Me, I tried to record some quotes and scrambled to find an angle for my story.

After lunch (veggie, veggie, veggie) I finally got a bit more courage to approach them and got a little bit of information that would make my story a bit different from others, at least I hoped it would be so. Talked to a couple of good looking executives who treated me like a princess, saying that anything I ask they'll be happy to answer (and by the looks of it they didn't even mind me writing so slowly on my notepad, in fact slowing down as they answer too).

At 3:15 I walked back to my room cause the Internet connection at the conference area was bloody slow (and they call it broadband!). As I walked back my head went spinning for an idea - but I still don't know what's good to report - told myself to calm down and get a grip: I can do this!

In the room I stripped (hey, not all the way la but whatever that's slowing my creativity process... if any went on at all..) and launched my laptop and got on the intranet webmail, desperately skimming through all the materials I've collected and scrutinizing my really bad handwriting, trying my best to come up with a story.

I guess due to the pressure of deadline, I managed to come up with a readable piece. I took Faizal's advice to go easy on the figures, but I could not do away with lots of jargon - hey, it is a telecommunications technology showcase that I am supposed to report about, no?

Anyway, did a check (just spelling lah, no cross-opinion thing or anything intelligent) and mailed it. Switched on the TV and waited...

Still waiting...

Grr... I'm hungry - maybe I should just go to the nearest McDonald's outlet...

 
This photo is taken by a counterpart of mine (Hong - could not thank him enough as he helped me a lot on this assignment) using a Panasonic Lumix camera (my sis') yesterday. 

No comments: