Friday, May 14, 2004

Moi croissant is getting berried

I was talking to a colleague - just to divert her away from the topic of company restructuring I blurted out something I'm currently not feeling peachy about.

I must have said what I said too quickly, cause when her attention snapped she quickly inquired:

"What? Did you say your croissant is getting berried?"

Wha..?

"No lah! I said, my cousin is getting married. Aiyo.."

"Ooh, sorry, I know you're a fan of Peter Mayle* and all, but to talk about croissants getting berried is a bit too much, I should think."

For your information, Peter Mayle is an English author whose first work I got to read was an entertaining autobiography/travel and restaurant guide/cultural study of the south of France, titled A Year In Provence.

I recommend this book to anyone looking for a light reading, but let me warn ye this: anyone on diet, stay away from his books (which also include Chasing Cezanne, Hotel Pastis, and Anything Considered). The way he describes the French cuisine, without fail, will generate your appetite.

To get an idea of his writing style, imagine stuff like murder, theft, romance, adventure, even the French postman being linked to a specific French food item - some literally, at other parts figuratively.

But in case you're looking for new materials to read, do try any of Peter Mayle's novels and have fun reading a reserved Brit man's take on the spontaneous French lifestyle.

No comments: