Thursday, July 15, 2004

One of the good things in life is...

... earning enough dough to self-finance a trip to Sarawak Rainforest Music Festival!

I always go on a trip during my birthday - this year, I decided to turn 26 at a place where I can find good music, good food and most importantly, good company.

For good company, I chose to visit my sister who's currently finishing a two-months contract in Kuching's Holiday Inn. Luck is on my side cause two good friends, who're just as crazy about good music and ready for adventure came along.



For good food, I got a good dose of Sarawak's famous crab cooked with black pepper, umai, laksa, mee kolok and mee sapi on a daily basis. Since I also survived the sea cucumber drenced with oyster sauce plus deep fried soft seashell crabs combo, I think Kuching suits me - four days of their standard gastronomical offering did not do anything nasty to my system.

For good music, I presented my worn ears and soul with the dish made ready by the Sarawak Rainforest Music Festival organizers. This event, held every year on the second week of July is a wonderful excuse to channel your measly earnings on a two-way ticket to Kuching.

I especially enjoyed the workshop conducted by the Zimbabwe's Black Umfolos (who taught us audience that we can sing acapella.. and kill someone at the same time!) and the New Zealand Haka gang Te Vaka (whose representative said that the reason why they slap their thighs so hard is to tell others that they can hurt themselves more than anyone can hurt them).

Of course, the performances of Mohram plus Samba Sunda jam and Mas Y Mas got me dancing in the forest, under the star, amidst a lovely crowd that reached a number close to 10,000 people!

That I managed to get my butt off the field of Sarawak Cultural Village after the finale concert then raced all the way back to arrive in hometown Ipoh on the same auspicious day is one heck of a bonus!

It's ze moz vonderful birthday present ever. If anyone's game to go next year, let me know!


p/s: The only slack during trip: shared a flight with Australian Idol Guy Sebastian on our way to Kuching (morning) - and bumped into him again at Wisma Tun Jugah (afternoon), and caught his performance at Tribes (evening). He didn't change his outfit at all for the whole day... we suspect the body odor stench that polluted the boarding area earlier could be...

No comments: