Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Likes: Osman Baku

Step aside Oh My English! Osman Baku is in da house!

For those of you who feeling a lil' bit out of touch with the Malay language, Osman Baku can help. I saw one of its 13 episodes last night on RTM's TV2 - it was entertaining, above all, and educational without being preachy.

The character Osman, potrayed by Dato' Rahim Razali reminds me of my dad, my uncles, aunts, my teachers Puan Rohaya and Puan Rosni, who are all teachers (some of them retirees already) who served the nation's schoolgoers in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. They're strict, tolerate no mistake, credit you accordingly... all that in such effortless manner that you'd be swayed, rather than forced, to accept and learn.

I enjoyed the scene where Osman went to a clinic to see a doctor.



Musicman-turned-actor Achong who played the doctor did an especially great job of a yuppie who tries his best to carry on his duties respectfully despite being reprimanded for using Bahasa Rojak. I bet many of you out there have met such folks who likes mixing their terms like that, butchering the beauty of Bahasa Melayu without realising it.

Congratulations to RTM for choosing quality dramas such as Osman Baku and kudos as well to everyone involved in the making of the series.

No comments: