Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Seen good movies lately?


I saw Children of Heaven last night - yeah, yeah, I know this is quite a popular artsy movie and I'm a bit ketinggalan in that sense. Bawled out I did, as I saw certain scenes - kesian siot bebudak tu. But I do admire their sensitivity towards their parent's struggle to make ends meet.

I don't know whether I was that bright enough when I was younger, to realize that my parents too had to struggle to provide food on the table, education etc. for my siblings and me. On top of that my ailing grandma was living with us.

My younger cousins - the so called Coffee Beans generation - is a total contrast from Ali and Zahra of Children of Heaven. If Ali told Zahra not to tell their parents about the lost shoes, it is because he knows they both will get trashing from the father, whom he knows has no money to replace it either.

On the other hand, once I heard my uncle complained to my mom that his daughter simply said, "Ala Bah, ice blended kat Coffee Beans RM10 je, bukannya mahal!" and that nearly gave him a surge of high blood pressure.

3 comments:

N a d i a said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
N a d i a said...

this movie is so simple, yet very touching. bile tengok cite tu, rasa sayanggggg sgt nak buang kasut2 lama, esp my converse..but u know what, masa kecik2 dulu, penah la tampal kasut yg koyak. ingat lagi, kasut tu kasut 'sugar baby' (mmg ngetop la masa zaman 80's). terkoyak sbb tersepak apa ntah, lgpun dah lusuh sbb dah pakai lama gak. i didn't want my mama to know b'cuz i knew she worked damn hard to earn a decent living for us. so, senyap2 la, i jahit the shoes & keep quite about it sampai la dia belikan kasut yg baru.

siti rosman said...

i pun dulu ada kasut kesayangan.. selipar la actually. Come to think of it, all my selipars memang menjadik kesayangan I, especially yang came with ultra-affordable price tag... Tapi nggak pernah gue rasa itu Sugar Baby - kira branded gak time tu kan. La ni takde dah nampak brand tu... ade ke lagi? Bley kasi Deena lak ek Kak Nadia..