Thursday, March 17, 2005

It does not always rain when a pig squeals

Yesterday my boss was enjoying a bunch of what is being called the new-age, modern Malay proverbs, involving classic sayings like "Kerbau dipegang pada talinya, manusia dipegang pada janjinya" was turned into "Lembu dipegang pada tali, manusia dipegang pada tangan."

And he goes, "Wargh wargh wargh, that's so funny!" - I winced inwardly. At times I could just let it pass as harmless fun, but at this point in life, when you finally understand certain things like legacy, identity and patriotism, I feel the pain of my dwindling heritage! Sorry, can't appreciate such jokes anymore.

I mean, I love it when people say, "Kecil tapak tangan, nyiru saya tadahkan" - the easiest way to show sincerity and willingness to take you in.

And I rather anyone drop hints like "Terima kasih daun keladi..." than hearing something as direct as, "Esok aku nak kau tolong aku lagi tau."

And to me "Pinggan tak retak, nasi tak dingin" is probably the most pedas yet subtle brush off. Though so, I can't help but note how close the Malay proverb is to the Malay lifestyle and daily routine, to nature and the nature of things.

If you check today's NST/Life & Times, you'll find a piece of American proverb on the cartoons page that goes, "It does not always rain when a pig squeals."

Ugh, how can that beat our very own "Dengar guruh di langit, air di tempayan dicurahkan" or even Ella and Deddy Dores' "Mendung tak bererti hujan..."

1 comment:

MagnusCaleb said...

hey minh...how r you, i'm buzy tak ingat nyer lately...kinda miss u